undomiel

Moderator: Moderatoren

LuLu

undomiel

Post by LuLu »

Vielleicht könnt ihr mir helfen. Ich wollte folgend Satz bilden:

Ich legen meinen Abendstern in deine Hände.
ni seidia nin undomiel lìn maw.

Ah wahrscheinlich müsste: "ni" an "seidia" angehängt werden und "lín" an "maw"?

Ich würde mich freuen, wenn ihr mir ein Feedback geben könntet.

Vielen lieben Dank.
LuLu
Eirien

Post by Eirien »

Hm, mit 'legen' wird's schon schwierig, da fehlt uns eine passende Vokabel. Vielleicht geht anna- = 'geben'.

Undómiel ist Quenya, für Sindarin könnte man zur Not *aduialél oder *thinél bilden.

>Ah wahrscheinlich müsste: "ni" an "seidia" angehängt werden und "lín" an "maw"?

Nein, aber die Possessivpronomen werden, anders als im Deutschen, hinter das Substantiv gesetzt, und wenn du eine konjugierte Verbform hast, wie in diesem Falle anna- -> annon = 'ich gebe', hast du das 'ich' bereits enthalten, mit anderen Worten: ni kannst du hier weglassen.
Tyrhael

Post by Tyrhael »

Forgive my English, as I do not yet know German. *facepalm*

For "put" I am tempted to use *caeda- in a transitive sense, derived from *kai-tā as opposed to intransitive *kai-tă and attested Q. caita. I would have liked to use something like "settle" instead, perhaps from MBAR — and bartho 'to doom' in Etym. is inferred not to exist in (at least one isolated 'snapshot' of, to use CFH's terminology) Sindarin cf. PE17:104 where we have mbartā 'to define, decree, destine' yielding 1) Q. marta-, S. nothing, 2) Q. umbarta, S. amartha-.

The lack of **bartha- as a cognate of marta- would open up the possibility of it as an analogical verb from later on when MBAR acquired its connotations of 'dwell / settle' from earlier 'to make a decision' (p. 105), except that that construction is a bit ... risky? ... given mbartā already being used — I'd rather attempt *caeda- even though that's not attested either, to avoid a sort of eitha- moment (assist or insult?).

Anyway, for 'evening star' Undómiel is a name, though I suppose it could be Sindarized in phonology to *Unúviel, but I think something else would be better. Eirien suggests *aduialél or *thinél if I read the quite-shaky German > English translation Google provides correctly, but I would suggest a re-ordering to *eladuial for reasons of euphony.

For 'hands', maw is marked in PE17:162 as archaic or poetic, and I would rather suggest cam, pl. *caim (cp. Q. camba/cambe).

All in all, that'd yield Caedon eladuial nín na gaim lín, with -on as Eirien mentioned (though perhaps an emphatic Im caeda could be possible? but I don't see the point) and 'vocalic mutation' (lenition) for allative na as found in PE17:147.
Ailinel

Post by Ailinel »

Hi Tyr, nice to see you!

The problem with *caeda- seems to be that the very same reconstructed verb is already used in an intransitive sense very often.

Personally, I would neither use seidia- nor *caeda- in this context, but rather rephrase the whole sentence.

(By the way, what happened to the plaza? Gone down in the West into shadow??)
Tyrhael

Post by Tyrhael »

Nice to see you as well! I've been away for a while, but noticed you're more active in the Plaza's lang forum than I am, right now.

There was a sort of miscommunication / slipup during the transfer of the Plaza to a new server that resulted in the address not connecting to the right IP, so in order to reach the Plaza you have to manually enter the IP address instead, which is 67.225.179.204. The lotrplaza email accounts are down as well, so emailing the admin-email won't help. *eep* I myself was only (finally) able to login this morning after being given the IP.

I suggest you read this thread — hellknight double-posts a bit down the first page about what exactly the problem is and how to fix it, as there are limitations by simply using the IP, like some or no icons / images / smilies not showing up, all old links using the lotrplaza.com address no longer work (you have to substitute the IP manually), etc. — I followed his instructions about the Hosts file and it now works 100% for me.

Right now this appears to have to be announced ear-to-ear, though, as we're finding it hard to get the word out to everyone — luckily I had one of the Admin's email addresses to contact.

Back to Sindarin (I have a ton to comment on after reading PE17), I think you're right about the recon. *caeda-; too bad it isn't like in the QL where we have kama 'to lie down' and kaita 'to place' from KAYA 'lie, rest. dwell' ...

How to reword it? "I release my evening star into your hands?" "I give my evening star into your hands?" "I transfer?" I suspect any attempt at using "I rest" from Etym.'s SED- / Q&E's SED- / VT44:35's SIB- would fail as well, since they appear in my opinion to also be somewhat intrinsically intransitive in meaning.
Last edited by Tyrhael on Thu Oct 09 2008 18:34, edited 1 time in total.
LuLu

Post by LuLu »

Hallo Eirien,

vielen lieben Dank für deine Unterstützung.

Oh, Undómiel ist wohl einfach die bekannteste Form. Ich habe jetzt erst angefangen und such mir meine Sachen so zusammen. :)

Also wenn ich dich richtig verstehe, müsste es wie folgt aussehen:

"nín thinél annon lín maw"

Danke und lieben Gruss
LuLu
Eirien

Post by Eirien »

Hi Tyrhael,

you're most welcome to post in English, you know you are. I am sure you won't mind our translating your helpful comments if need be.
Regarding *caeda-, seidia-, **bartha-, ... I don't quite see what's actually wrong about using anna- in this context - to be sure, its meaning 'to give' is rather in the sense of 'to present, to make a gift', which I think, if not in strict keeping with the original idea, does not exactly convey a false notion either. So maybe we could stick to anna- for the time being (if only to explain the grammar part of it) until something better comes to mind.

Thanks a lot for suggesting *eladuial, this is indeed a lot more euphonious!

@LuLu,

kein Problem, dafür sind wir schließlich hier. :wink:

Die Schwierigkeit bei deinem Satz ist, wie Tyrhael und Ailinel angemerkt haben, dass wir keine Vokabel für 'legen' haben. *caeda-, das Tyrhael vorschlägt, ist abgeleitet, also nicht belegt, und würde wohl eher 'liegen' als 'legen' bedeuten. Mein anna- ist wiederum problematisch, weil es 'geben' im Sinne von 'schenken' bedeutet - daher wäre Ailinels Vorschlag, den Satz umzuformulieren.

Aber um dich überhaupt jetzt erstmal auf die Bahn zu bringen: 'ich gebe' = annon, so weit OK. Statt *thinél/*aduialél hat Tyrhael *eladuial vorgeschlagen, was tatsächlich viel besser klingt, und außerdem angemerkt, dass maw = 'Hand' zwar nicht unbedingt falsch, aber eine veraltete Form ist. Besser ist cam mit Plural caim. So, jetzt kommt aber das Possessivpronomen 'mein' bzw. 'dein' hinter das dazugehörige Substantiv, also eladuial nîn und caim lîn. Jetzt brauchst du noch eine Präposition 'in/in Richtung von' dafür haben wir na. Die Besonderheit hierbei ist, dass das Substantiv nach na weich mutiert (leniert) wird, also heißen muss: na gaim lîn. Das Kapitel über Mutationen ist ganz wichtig; eigentlich müsste der 'Abendstern' als Akkusativobjekt ebenfalls leniert werden, aber da Tyrhaels eladuial zum Glück mit einem Vokal anfängt, wirkt sich das hier nicht aus.

Und jetzt noch mal der ganze Satz:
Annon eladuial nîn na gaim lîn.
(mit Vorbehalt re. annon).

>Ich ... such mir meine Sachen so zusammen
Das ist sehr gut, genau so möchten wir das hier sehen. :wink:
LuLu

Post by LuLu »

Hi Eirien,

Danke für deine Erklärungen. Mein Englisch ist nicht sehr gut und ich hab jetzt erst mal gebracuht, um es mir zu übersetzen. Aber selbst diese Arbeit hast du gerade für mich getan. Wow! Danke!

Okay. Verstanden. Das Possisivpronomen immer nach hinten.
Die Präposition hat gefehlt - hab ich nirgendswo was zu gefunden.

Wäre die Mutation auch bei "maw" notwendig? Ich möcht das einfach lernen.
c->g, weil "na"

Spitze. Ein sehr schöner Satz und "eladuial" klingt wirklich viel besser.

@ Tyrhael,

thanks for your input. My enlish is not so well. Eirien has transleted for me :wink:
Eirien

Post by Eirien »

LuLu wrote: Wäre die Mutation auch bei "maw" notwendig? Ich möcht das einfach lernen.
c->g, weil "na"
Ja, bei den meisten Konsonanten. m würde in diesem Fall zu v -> na vaw.
Um zu sehen, was sich wann wie verändert, schaust du am besten in die Tabelle.